We are so excited for our Children’s Ministry “Grand Opening” on November 7th! Our soft open this past Sunday was so much fun. Beginning Nov. 7th during the 10:30 hour, we will have two classrooms: Pre-K (3 yrs) thru 1st grade in the Purple room, and 2nd grade thru 5th grade in the Lime Green room. Check-in will be at the bottom of the stairs! Read more about what Young Children and Worship is like:
Young Children and Worship (YC&W) is an exciting way of approaching faith formation with young children. It is an approach that recognizes children as spiritual beings who already have a relationship with God. In YC&W children learn about God while experiencing God. They hear Bible stories in ways which allow them to enter the stories and form responses out of their own life experiences. They learn the meaning of church traditions and have opportunities to participate in worship practices (Young Children and Worship, Introduction).
Characteristics of YC&W:
1. Respect for Children. This program recognizes that even very young children are spiritual beings who already have a relationship with God. In YC&W children are not seen as empty vessels for us (adults) to fill with our understanding of God. Adults are guides who offer space, tools, and language which help children deepen their already existing relationship with God. In YC&W we trust that given the opportunity, children will bring their own life experiences to the stories of God and will receive what they need.
2. Encouragement of Imagination. There is not enough time and space in today’s world for children to use their wonderful imaginations. Television, videos, computer games rarely encourage children to call upon their own creative possibilities. There are too few places for children to learn about the gifts of quiet and solitude. Churches are uniquely equipped to offer these gifts.
3. Developmentally Appropriate. YC&W allows children to use all their senses and motor skills. It includes lots of repetition and lots of rituals which children love.
4. Children Learn about God while Being in God’s Presence. Children Worship & Wonder is worship. It is a chance for adults and children to worship together in a way that is meaningful for both.
5. Numbers do not Matter. This program can be done with one child or fifteen children.
*These are the words of Sonja Stewart, Young Children and Worship.