Columbine United Church is a progressive and inclusive, open and affirming, Ecumenical Church located in Littleton, Colorado. We are affiliated with the Presbyterian Church USA, the United Methodist Church and the United Church of Christ. We have an opening for an experienced Business Manager. Reporting to the Senior Pastor/Head of Staff, the Business Manager will help oversee the management of the church buildings, grounds and equipment while being responsible for the church’s business operations and workflow.
|Job Title: Business Manager||Status: ¾ Time, Exempt|
|Report to: Head of Staff||Job Grade: Admin|
|Flexible work arrangements|
The Business Manager works collaboratively with the Pastors and church leadership to support the mission of the church by overseeing the management of the church buildings, grounds, and equipment in addition to being responsible for the church’s business operations and workflow.
Essential Job Functions
- Fiscal Operations
- Responsible for the management of the church’s monetary and financial assets and obligations, including the management of cash flow, payroll and payroll tax obligations, income and receipts, contractual obligations, accounts receivable and payables, and purchasing.
- Includes the management of long-term debt, liabilities and recurring expenditures.
- Financial and Stewardship Management, Budgeting and Reporting
- Work closely with the Generosity/Stewardship committee to help manage a successful yearly pledge drive.
- Responsible for financial accounting, record keeping and reporting, including maintaining the financial reporting system, and adhering to financial and accounting reporting requirements.
- Ensure consistent adherence to proper accounting practices and principles involving financial policies, budget administration, audit activity, banking activities, and invoice review and approval.
- Coordinate with church officers and committees in preparation of annual budgets, oversee the coverage of insurance of all types, maintain confidential member giving records, oversee purchasing and ensure competitive bidding and pricing, oversee capital asset and construction projects and fundraising/development.
- Compile and distribute to church staff, officers and Council monthly financial performance reports in a timely manner.
Church Office Management
- General Office Management
- Maintain an atmosphere of professionalism, helpfulness, and hospitality to all who interact with the church office including staff, church members, and visitors.
- Provide leadership, supervision, and oversight for the work of the church office.
- Develop, document, and maintain church office processes.
- Maintain neat and orderly filings of all pertinent church documents (legal, fiscal, etc.).
- Support pastors, church leadership, and program leaders as needed.
- Office Data Management
- Maintain information of members, visitors, and church friends.
- Manage data security and visibility.
- General Church Information
- Publish a church directory on a regular basis.
- Maintain a roster of Council members with their current contact information.
- Maintain the church organization chart.
- Church Social Media
- Create content for and manage all church social media accounts; i.e. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.
- Coordinate with church members to advertise internal events and promote church fellowship and community.
- Work with staff members and church leaders to ensure that proper communication of events, news, etc. are communicated in an appropriate and timely manner.
- Bulletins and Weekly Communication
- Assist with eBlast communication when applicable
- Periodically review website and coordinate with Web Manager to ensure that events are current and are representative of the information provided through church social media accounts
- Incoming communications
- Respond or forward appropriately all incoming church mail, email, and website requests.
- Answer incoming phone calls, as needed.
- Serve as ex-officio member of the Marketing and Connection groups, assisting them with the procurement of necessary supplies and conveying their messaging through the use of social media.
- Provide whatever support necessary to these teams to further their mission to create a welcoming, fun church environment that is well known in the Littleton community.
- Building & Grounds Safety, Security, and Appearance
- Work in partnership with the Facilities Manager to support his or her efforts to maintain the physical church property, including, but not limited to:
- Manage annual contracts for air conditioning and heating repairs
- Pay property and workers comp insurance
- Submit any insurance claims with the church’s insurance company
- Pay the mortgage on the new church building
- Work with the Property Committee manager to assist with requests as needed
- Keep utility payments current
- Make contract/agreements with non-church groups who rent church property and collect the rental fees.
- Select and evaluate vendors periodically based on price, quality, and delivery.
- Manage purchases and relationships with vendors.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Attend monthly Finance meetings.
- Produce a written monthly report on financials for Council meeting.
- Work closely with pastoral staff, church officers, committees and ministry teams and assist in the facilitation of the vision of the church.
- Serve as an ex-officio member of specified church committees and teams – Finance, Generosity, and Marketing committees.
Education, Knowledge, and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance preferred
- Mastery of Windows and Microsoft Office Suite and Microsoft Publisher
- Experience with church database software
- Ability and willingness to quickly learn new technology,
- General computer familiarity
- Leadership skills
- Excellent communication, organizational and analytical skills
- Unquestionable discretion and ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters
- Conflict resolution skills
- Self-discipline regarding personal time usage
- Able to multi-task and deal with diverse personalities
- People person – demonstrates professional and cordial conduct, good interpersonal skills
- Team oriented
- Proactive, self-starter and motivator
- Be in harmony with CUC’s Mission, Vision and Beliefs
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Business Manager may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the church community.
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to: