Columbine United Church,Littleton CO
Nov 1, 2019
Director of Worship and Arts/ Band Director
Our mission is to enhance worship by providing high-quality music, create a welcoming, inclusive and growing music ministry, expose the congregation to a wide variety of music genres and experiences, all with the intention of connecting people to God. We are a progressive and inclusive, open and affirming, Ecumenical church who knows great music is central to the spirit of worship. We seek a part-time Director of Worship and Arts who is an experienced worship leader well versed in both Traditional and Contemporary musical styles. Competency and character are key ingredients for a good fit. We are looking for our musical program to thrive under a Director of Worship who is a humble leader and a team player who is able to shape a progressive and excellent musical culture.
We have a choir director and accompanist for our Traditional Worship at 8:00 am and our 10:00 am Contemporary Worship has a group of vocalists and musicians. The Director of Worship and Arts will be a champion for and bring oversight to both services. Due to current staffing coverage we see this position as mostly focused on Contemporary service direction with oversight over the Traditional service.
This Position and Person Will:
- ● Fully embrace CUC’s vision, values, people, and ministry culture.
- ● Possess strong interpersonal and communication skills (including conflict resolution) with
the ability to maintain healthy relationships.
- ● Plan and organize worship service music.
- ● Coordinate and schedule all worship service music in conjunction with the pastor’s
theme/sermon of the week.
- ● Plan for seasonal special music for Lent, Holy Week, Advent and Christmas.
- ● Develop calendar and coordinate with the appropriate contacts to plan and schedule
various music groups/musicians for each Sunday service.
- ● Collaborate with the other music leadership to choose music that reinforces our theology
and creates an appropriate experience.
- ● Rehearse with band and other music groups. The ability to work with musical groups such
as choir and contemporary band to improve skills and prepare for worship services.
- ● Be musically competent at a level to lead the band and corporate worship. Have good
pitch, stage presence, and can lead with either guitar or piano. Can read music and create chord/lyric charts.
- ● Have strong administrative skills with ability to manage the music department budget, coordinate schedules, organize short and long term logistics and communicate details with others.
- ● Be a community builder helping to work with soloists, youth, collaborating with a church band and developing special musical groups.
- ● Be able to effectively recruit, and lead instrumental musicians as well as vocal musicians.
- ● Have interest, vision, and sufficient knowledge to collaborate with areas of CUC ministry
that are supportive (e.g. technical: audio, lighting, video production, social media, etc.) or
creative (e.g. visual arts, design, dance, dramatic, etc.) .
Time Requirements and Compensation:
- ● Approx. 25 hrs/week.
- ● Sunday Worship 8:00 a.m. Traditional & 10:00 a.m. Contemporary with choir and band
rehearsal Wednesday evenings.
- ● Weekly meeting with leadership for worship planning and rehearsals.
- ● Leadership for special service including Christmas Eve and Holy Week.
- ● 3 years relevant experience
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org We will begin screening potential candidates November 15th